Q: best strategy/tool to select a mirror (explicitly not via proxies like http.debian.net)

I am setting up a little helper to enable neuro.debian.net
repository on users' boxes.  We have a few mirrors around the globe and
the simplest approach was to use netselect, but that one relies on UDP
or ICMP (not even both at the same time), and some mirrors filter those
out...

So I wondered if we have any other similar to netselect tool?  may be
(ideally?) via tcptraceroute + bandwidth sensing some way?

Thanks in advance for the ideas/feedback
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org