Re: HTTPS everywhere!

On Wed, 2014-06-18 at 04:54 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Well https with X.509 has inherent problems which we won't be able to
> solve...

Precisely.  It has a horrible design bug.

Given the nature of the net, where we want to deal securely with some
entity never dealt with or of heard of before  like, www.shop.com, we
are forced to rely on a third party to assure us the DNS name
www.shop.com really is owned by "shop.com".  This is what the X.509
does.  I am not aware of anything that could do it better.

So you need X.509 PKI (even with all its flaws) during that first
contact.  But after you've sent them money or downloaded their software
you have formed a trust relationship with whoever controls that cert far
stronger than the assurances X.509 provides.  That is true in the
positive sense if you receive your goods after paying, or the software
you downloaded works well, or in the negative sense if the reverse
happens.  Regardless, next time you deal with the entity that controls
the www.shop.com cert, you now know far more about them than the X.509
PKI does.

The bug is the current system forces you to reply on X.509 for all
future contacts, even though you have much better source of trust.
During that initial contact the protocol could have arranged for you to
download a cert signed by the owners of shop.com themselves, so you
could reply on it in the future instead of X.509.  Suddenly all X.509
issues, like MITM attacks, disappear.

Unfortunately that's just the start.  It's possible to imagine much
stronger protocols.  For example, that initial contact creates a
"bookmark" your browser stores so you can access the site again.  The
bookmark embeds the cert from shop.com.  The advantage of this bookmark
is it provides mutual authentication, so not only do you know the site
is still owned by the same people - the site knows its you contacting
them.  This means when you use the bookmark the site can reduce it's
security demands - as in there is no need for you to remember super
strong passwords.  It also means the site can pro-actively train you to
behave in a same manner - as in make life easier when you use the
bookmark to contact them.  So if you click on a phishing link  it
suddenly becomes obvious you are not dealing with the real "shop.com".

But are apparently welded to the current stuff, and as you say Debian is
not in any position to change that.  I had hoped they would address it
in HTTP2.  It's the ideal time.  They are break forwards compatibility
in all sorts of ways.  But it doesn't seem to have entered their minds.