Re: improving downloader packages (was: Re: holes in secure apt)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:31:14PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> I think a better way than to create such a policy would be to create a simple
> framework that does in-package downloading "right" and that downloader
> packages can depend on and call from their scripts (a bit like dbconfig-
> common). An existing technical solution will probably be more quickly adopted
> by the various packages than a set of requirements, and improvements need to
> be made in only one place.

This kind-of exists in "game-data-packager": except it isn't structured so that
you call it from another package. Instead, the 3rd party stuff to be packaged
are handled within gdp itself.

I wonder whether it would be possible to extend gdp to provide such a
framework, however I have a lot of reservations about the notion of running
download code in postinst stages etc. at all.

I once planned to rename gdp to just "data-packager", coinciding with the
first non-game thing to be supported. I idly considered the flash plugin
or Oracle's Java as such targets. But I never did it.