Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Hi Thomas,

On  Di 03 Jun 2014 16:25:01 CEST, Thomas Goirand wrote:

If I want to try in Wheezy using backports, I get:

# sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports mate-desktop-environment
[...]
0 upgraded, 69 newly installed, 0 to remove and 251 not upgraded.

Does this seem normal to you? How come there's 251 not upgraded? Will
this break my current Wheezy GNOME desktop (I mean: did you test that?)?

The 251 means: there are 251 packages in wheezy-backports that are newer than on your system (i.e. than in wheezy, if the system is 100% wheezy).

MATE has no explicitly versioned dependencies on packages in wheezy-backports (only inside its own stack of MATE packages).

So an installation of MATE on Debian wheezy from wheezy-bpo should not upgrade any of the currently installed packages (assuming a clean wheezy install).

If you observe something different, please report back and I will take a closer look.

You current GNOME installation from wheezy won't break when installing MATE. I run setups like that myself. The MATE upstream team did a great job in completely creating a new namespace on the file system for MATE installation files. None of the MATE packages conflicts with current GNOME packages. In fact, MATE has started using current GNOME components (e.g. gnome-keyring) or libs (e.g. libwnck).

Thanks,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM