Re: How to provide support for -i386 utilities within -amd64 packages?

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM, Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org> wrote:
Christopher James Halse Rogers <chris@cooperteam.net> writes:
 For apitrace we ended up using the $LIB dynamic expansion to let the
dynamic loader handle this itself (https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/pull/177).

 That's presumably applicable to fips and vogl also.

Yes, that $LIB thing is really convenient for this.. The last time I
looked, it wasn't available within LD_PRELOAD like it is for
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

But yes, we already are using this in vogl and fips where possible.

Aha! But if you prepend /usr/lib/$LIB/vogl/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then set LD_PRELOAD to vogl.so (or whatever, rather than the absolute path) then you
effectively get it for LD_PRELOAD, too :)

The only edge case I can think of that this would break is where the tracee itself prepends a path containing a _different_ vogl.so to LD_LIBRARY_PATH;
that seems like a pretty unlikely confluence of events.