Re: systemd-fsck?

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:21:15AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > > I don't think I understand what you mean.  What does "having systemd
> > > installed" mean, if not that it's being used as the init system?  And if
> > > it isn't used as the init system (presumably because the user chose no
> > > to do that), why is it a good idea to change that?
>
> > > In other words: what isn't handled properly?  What should happen, and
> > > what does happen?
>
> > Consider a system which has systemd installed, systemd-sysv *not*
> > installed, and systemd used as PID 1 via init=/bin/systemd.  Since
> > systemd-sysv is not already installed, "systemd-shim | systemd-sysv" will
> > pull in systemd-shim instead, which will atttempt to supply services that
> > conflict with systemd's.
>
> systemd-shim is bus-activated-only.  The dbus name will already be claimed
> by systemd itself on startup, so systemd-shim will be a no-op on such a
> system.

I appreciate the clarification; thanks.

In that case, as one possible option, given that systemd-shim exists "to
run the systemd helpers", which the systemd package provides (logind,
etc), how crazy would it be for systemd-shim to depend on systemd rather
than providing its own (currently binary-identical) copy of
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.systemd1.conf?  If it did so, then
there should be approximately zero danger of the two conflicting in any
way, and it should be zero risk to have the two coexisting on the same
system.

(I realize that that inverts the dependency relationship a bit, but
nonetheless it seems potentially sensible for maintainability and
risk-reduction.)

I'd still argue that "systemd-sysv | systemd-shim" is the right way
around, but nonetheless the above seems helpful from the point of view
of making sure sysvinit-core+systemd-shim and systemd can coexist on the
same system to allow runtime selection.

> Stop spreading FUD.

Please consider assuming good faith; I appreciate you providing
a correction and participating in the discussion.

- Josh Triplett