Re: correct use of su

On Sat, 10 May 2014 23:11:10 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 11:12:08AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
>> The name "start-stop-daemon" would suggest this is inappropriate for cron
>> jobs, is that an invalid assumption I made?
>
>Perhaps a better name could have been chosen, in hindsight.  But in
>practice, s-s-d is the best available tool for uid switching in any
>noninteractive scripts.

Maybe we should change s-s-d to something like su-non-interactive (bad
name, didn't come up with something any better) and provide s-s-d as a
link.

Just out of curiosity: Which use is left to su if it is not supposed
to be used around init scripts and cron jobs any more? In interactive
sessions, we usually use sudo for fifteen years, is su really
completely deprecated for a decade and more?

>Systemd (as upstart) sidesteps this problem to a large degree by handling
>uid switching as a native directive, avoiding the need to call out to a
>separate command.

Just out of curiosity: What do I do when I convert an init script that
parses a mode 600 configuration file (containing passwords), does
necessary things as root and then starts a non-root daemon to systemd?
How do I do that with using a "native directive"?

Greetings
Marc