Re: systemd-fsck?

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Fri, May 09 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:
>> Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>>> I think we need some sort of critical debconf prompt here for the
>>> jessie release, similar to how we handled the change of /bin/sh to dash
>>> and how we handled the switch to startpar.  Probably in systemd-sysv,
>>> which is the package that forces the conversion.  It's quite surprising
>>> to, for example, install network-manager (which is an application that
>>> ca be used with non-GNOME window managers) and end up with a new init
>>> system.
>
>> I strongly disagree: if the maintainers of the various packages have
>> done their jobs well (which they have), upgrading should be entirely
>> transparent.

        When things are working well, of course there is little to worry
 about. I myself got converted and did not notice. But there is more to
 this than the happy lane: What happens  when the init system breaks? I
 am currently very familiar with sysvinit, and am comfortable debugging
 and hacking at shell scripts to get my system back in single user
 mode.

       Am I similarly knowledgeable about recovering a sick systemd
 environment? No, not yet, I am not. I do mean to learn about it at some
 point, perhaps soon. But  by pushing ahead the timetable, I have been
 left with a system I am not at all confident of being able to debug and
 fix. Not asking me has led to a gap in my disaster recovery
 preparedness :P

        I do not think silently swapping out a critical piece of
 infrastructure, where the underlying technology is so different,
 without asking is serving our users well.

        manoj
--
To be able to be caught up into the world of thought--that is being
educated. Edith Hamilton