Re: howto handle jquery embedding by build-depends

 ❦  8 mai 2014 11:45 +0200, Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> :

>> /usr/share/doc/doxygen/README.jquery
>
> This is a bug in doxygen. Replacing the embedded jquery copy
> in the Debian package shipping it with a link to the jquery
> version in Debian should be the right thing to do. Maybe this
> entire technology behind doxygen needs gentle kicking, like
> people such as Torsten Werner did to Java™ stuff, to get it to
> conform to our expectations.

Yeah, let's ignore the others and say them they are wrong.

In the JS world, they rely on "semantic versioning". In theory, this
says that version x.y+1.z is backward-compatible with x.y.w. In
practice, this is not always the case and automatic upgrade from one
minor version to another one should be done with care. jQuery is mature
enough to be more immune to this problem but many wide-used libraries
have this problem. For example, Twitter Bootstrap as in Debian is 2.0.2
(quite old). The latest version for the 2.x serie is 2.3. It is quite
unlikely that a project using 2.0 can use 2.3 without additional
modifications.

By forbidding embedded copies without providing a sensible alternative
(like a package with all minor versions of jQuery), we are just
introducing bugs in our packages making them of lesser quality.

It is already difficult to make people understand how we work with our
release cycle. We don't need angry users and angry upstream because we
modify packages to introduce additional bugs.

Like other languages, Javascript will mature and will handle those
problems with their community. In the meantime, we need to be flexible
and tolerant.
--
Parenthesise to avoid ambiguity.