Re: concurrent installation of different pkg versions

Hi Charles,

Op zaterdag 26 april 2014 14:29:44 schreef Charles Plessy:

> Le Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:11:58PM -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> > > Hi Paul and everybody,

> > > it would be a great advantage for Debian over the other distributions to

> > > have the capacity to install multiple versions concurrently.

> > No, no it wouldn't.

> > This is how rpm handles library packages. It's a horror show.

> Hi Steve,

> we have been fighting bitterly over the years, we have different points of

> view, and it does not seem like we will be thiking along the same lines

> anytime soon.

> When you post on debian-devel or other lists and I disagree, I try to

> refrain myself from juping on the keyboard and to instead give time to

> others to express their disagreement. If nobody answers, I also take it as

> a sign that I probably should not answer as well.

> Could I ask you to do the same for me ?

While I subscribe to your request for Steve to be considerate (heck, I wouldn't have caused GR 2014-002 if I didn't), I don't think asking him not to reply to you is a reasonable request.

Steve is a valued technical contributor who through more than a decade of experience has valuable insights to add to many parts of Debian. Asking him to keep that technical advise to him for personal reasons seems like a wrong thing to do.

The above-quoted mail could maybe use a bit more explanation as to why Steve thinks of your suggestion as a bad idea. However, that doesn't make him wrong, nor should it imply that he should have refrained from sending it.

Thanks,

--

It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

-- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26