Re: fixed_versions format in the BTS and forcemerge

Package: debbugs
Severity: normal
Control: retitle -1 -done messages with only a Version pseudoheader do not get turned into fully qualified verisons; see #729576.

On Tue, 06 May 2014, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I could see in a mail from control@b.d.o:
>
> [...]
> After four attempts, the following changes were unable to be made:
> fixed_versions of #731426 is 'systemd/204-9' not '204-9'
> fixed_versions of #726763 is 'systemd/204-9' not '204-9'
> Failed to forcibly merge 729576: Unable to modify bugs so they could be merged.
>
> But according to
>
>   http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control.en.html#fixed
>
> these are two correct, equivalent ways to mark a bug as fixed in
> some version.
>
> Shouldn't the format be fixed (i.e. either source_package/version or
> just version)?

The format is source_package/version; plain version is coerced into
source_package/version if version corresponds to a valid source package
version (or binary package version which corresponds to a valid source
package version).

> Or shouldn't the BTS detect that and allow the forcemerge after
> possible conversion?

Forcemerge tries to do the modification, but because #729576 is marked
as fixed in 204-9 instead of systemd/204-9, it fails.

For safety, forcemerge won't try to modify the first bug given, so it's
going to fail.

The real issue here is that 204-9 should never have been just 204-9, but
should have been coerced into systemd/204-9; this is probably a bug in
-done handling which is exposed when you just give a Version
pseudoheader without a Source pseudoheader... and should be fixed.

We have to face the fact that either all of us are going to die
together or we are going to learn to live together and if we are to
live together we have to talk.
 -- Eleanor Roosevelt