Module from /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf not loaded after systemd upgrade

Hi all,

my development system running unstable failed to start X server after an dist-upgrade two days ago.

After a bit of investigation I found out that the radeon module is not loaded at bootup anymore. To get the graphical login back, the following commands as root were needed:
# modprobe radeon
# systemctl restart kdm
Why radeon is not loaded at boot anymore is a mystery to me. All other modules from /etc/modules (symlinked as /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf) are active after bootup.

Having no idea of systemd so far, I looked up a few manpages. This quote from the manpage systemd-modules-load.service(8) caught my attention:
systemd-modules-load.service is an early-boot service that loads kernel modules from static configuration.
So my guess was that with systemd the modules listed in /etc/modules must be available from the initial ramdisk. To verify if this is the case, I added the radeon module to the initial ramdisk:
# echo radeon >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
# update-initramfs -u
This change actually fixed the problem for me: After reboot the X server starts just fine and I get my graphical login back.

But looking at the other modules in /etc/modules these actually get loaded even though they are not included in my initrd (except for the loop.ko module).

Can anybody give me a hint what is going on here? This could be a upgrade problem for jessie as I am sure there are many systems out there that still load some modules by means of /etc/modules-load.d.

Greetings, Torsten