Re: concurrent installation of different pkg versions

On 04/26/2014 01:39 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> With all the talk about removing jquery from source packages, one thing
> that does arise is the question of how to support different jquery versions.
>
> This is not just a JavaScript issue though.  Maybe we can have
>
>   libjs-jquery-1.7
>   libjs-jquery-1.10

There's nothing that prevents us from manually deciding to have
different versions installed at once: this is a packaging decision. We
could have for example:

>From package libjs-jquery-1.7:
/usr/share/javascript/jquery/1.7

>From package libjs-jquery-1.10:
/usr/share/javascript/jquery/1.10

This is the exact same thing that happens with .so libraries, and this
should happen *only* when there's an API change (why would you want to
keep an older version otherwise?).

I strongly believe that this should be avoided as much as possible (for
example with good communication with upstream so that they understand
the needs of distributions), though there's some cases where probably
it's impossible. I wouldn't like if we were generalizing the practice,
but would understand and feel reasonable if we had a few cases of it,
for example let's say 2  jquery versions at once max on a give system.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)