Re: Source Requirements

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org> wrote:
> On 29 April 2014 21:02, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 02:26:49 AM Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> Recently there have been a number of questions about source requirements
>>> for the Debian archive.  The FTP master view of this are based on both
>>> item 1 of the social contract (Debian will remain 100% free) and item 2 of
>>> the DFSG (The program must include source code ...).  We consider source
>>> packages to be part of the Debian system and as such all files in source
>>> packages must come with their source as required by the DFSG (and be
>>> distributable under a free license).
>>
>> For clarity: Is it OK for languageCompilerX, which happens to be written in
>> languageX, to ship a compiled binary of languageCompilerX in the source
>> package for languageCompilerX?
>>

> of course not, do a bootstrap each time, or provide a separate
> bootstrap package in the archive, such that other people can reproduce
> the boostrap process. circular build-dependency on one-self is always
> bad.
> What's your concrete example at the moment? or is this just a
> hypothetical corner case?

I am unsure if they have done so yet, but the developers of the Go
compiler expressed the intention to start writing the compiler in Go,
not C. They also wanted to write the compiler in the most recent
stable version of Go, so you would need Go 1.3 to compile Go 1.4 --
goc 1.1 would not compile anything but <=1.2.

Best,
--
Cameron Norman