Re: goals for hardening Debian: ideas and help wanted

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:20:05 +0000
Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> > Tor provides privacy and more likely lowers security so which threat
> > against contributors or contributor actions is the Tor policy aimed to
> > protect?
>
> I'm confused, what? How does Tor lower security and at the same time,
> it provides privacy?

Just like antivirus scanners bring greater exploitability especially
if you are not vulnerable to detectable viruses then so does Tor. It
adds a lot of complexity for privacy benefit. Integrity is often
muddled into security too. As far as I am concerned they can actually
counter each other and are seperate entities. Security is an
application specific process to be understood in light of a particular
threat model. So Tor for certain things yes but not for everything.
Obscuring from targetted attack is highly questionable to me when a
secure VPN from a lightly used machine (no web browsing) can offer real
security. You may just be giving a way in otherwise.