Re: debconf reconfiguration from postinst of another package

Le Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 03:56:41PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

> I find it worrisome if only mutually coordinated packages can configure
> each other:  I fear that that scales badly.

Hi Jonas,

first, thanks for working on the concept of using Debian packages to
extensively reconfigure a system for a specific user base.  It would be great
if we could provide a robust solution for doing this with Debian packages
available in our main archive.

This said, I do not see how it can happen without a minimum of coordination:
otherwise you will end up with a package where the chances of being broken by
an uncoordinated upload add up with each of its targets.

This minimal coordiation could be based on:

 - packages providing directories in which other packages can drop
   configuration files.

 - packages ready to reconfigure themselves via dpkg triggers.

Is your number of targets so large that this level of coordination is not
reachable ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy