Re: debconf reconfiguration from postinst of another package

Quoting Paul Wise (2014-04-18 17:44:13)
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but (again) I am sorry if it was not clear: The *question* is
>> about *debconf* irregardless of the *example* involving other
>> details.
>
> Examples are generally less useful than knowing the exact
> circumstances that make you want a particular solution. Would you
> share some information about why you want this?

I want to improve the ability to have Debian (not only apply but also)
maintain user choices.

Today it is well documented (e.g. in devref) how any debconf-enabled
package can be reconfigured from command-line interface (using e.g.
dpkg-reconfigure).

I want to explore support for reconfiguration scripted (e.g. CFengine,
FAI, Puppet) and via web (e.g. Plinth).

I also want to explore putting collections of choices into packages -
i.e. "smart" task packages.

Goal is to have well-defined parts of Debian maintainable 100% by Debian
(i.e. no custom-tuned config files at all) - configured and reconfigured
via debconf.  I call such well-defined parts "Debian Pure Blends".

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#PureBlend

 - Jonas