Re: Why Debian

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:16:22 Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Why you choose to develop in Debian over any other distribution?

I've chosen to develop because it allows me to improve Debian which is already
the greatest tool and asset in my work. Developing for Debian is a great way
to learn and to make your work available to wide(er) audience.

Choosing Debian over other distributions is easy:

I avoid derivatives due to their tendency to disconnect from original projects
(communication delayed both ways; fixes need time to propagate etc.).

We should all work together and in that regards only community-made
distributions matter.

Those principles limit the scope to original distributions which leaves pretty
much only only three distros to choose from, namely Debian, Arch and Gentoo.

The latter is not practical (unless you run it on powerful computers and can
afford spending days to install updates, routinely); Arch is not universal
(available on few architectures only), not very good for production (due to
rolling-release nature) and time-consuming due to lack of defaults (which
makes it usable only by experienced professionals).

Debian (by huge margin) is more useful anywhere from VPS with ~128 MiB of RAM
to desktops and powerful servers.

Social contract and DFSG are two more arguments for Debian.

What other reasons one might need to arrrive on same conclusion?

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
        -- Philip K. Dick