Re: Why Debian

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 02:30:26PM +0200, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> On 13/04/14 07:13, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > Because my contributions are respected equally, in most other
> > distributions my contributions will be treated second class, subject
> > to wishes of managers, even those who don't contribute technically in
> > that area.

> Astonishing the situation you describe seems to fit exactly what has
> happened to me. In fact contribution in Launchpad, the Ubuntu
> development platform, is measured and I collected data from those
> who appeared to confront myself; for being objective about how much
> in touch they're with these processes themselves.

> After looking at the attachment in this message, I got somehow angry.

For the record, of the people you listed:

 - none are managers at Canonical
 - only one is a Canonical employee
 - one is also a Debian developer.

I think it's unfair of you to characterize your disagreement with the
administrators of the Ubuntu Bug Control team as a case of contributions
being treated as "second class, subject to wishes of managers".  No one will
disagree with the idea that much of the development direction of Ubuntu is
influenced by Canonical management; Canonical is a company, and the work
Canonical's employees do on Ubuntu during their work day is driven by
business requirements.  But that is unrelated to what has happened here.

I don't think you will find Debian any more receptive to uncoordinated
triaging of bugs than Ubuntu was.