Re: Having fun with the following C code (UB)

Shachar Shemesh writes ("Re: Having fun with the following C code (UB)"):
> I never did understand what people expect.

What people expect is that the compiler compiles programs the way C
was traditionally compiled.

Obviously that expectation nowadays results in disappointment, and
isn't captured by formal standards bodies.

> gcc uses the undefined behavior to not emit checks it would
> otherwise have to, so that your code runs faster.

Most of us would prefer slower code with fewer hideous security bugs.

> Are you really sure you want to have slower code just so that your
> corner cases are easier for you? How is that a reasonable trade-off to make?

Yes, I am absolutely sure of that.

Ian.