Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 12:56 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ghislain Vaillant writes ("Re: Debian default desktop environment"):
> > Users do care about visual identity (or call it brand
> > recognition if you like), and currently XFCE in Debian does not have
> > any, I am afraid.
>
> My experiences with less-sophisticated users are the opposite.  They
> don't give a flying fuck about "brand recognistion" or "visual
> identity".  They don't even seem to care very much about whether it's
> pretty.

Possibly. So many different users, so many opinions. My personal
experience (work colleagues + close relatives, most of them being first
time switchers) is that they do.

> What they care about is being able to easily do whatever they wanted
> to use a computer for.  Mostly, that means that the UI should be
> similar to other systems they're likely to have used (so they don't
> have to learn anything), and it should be easy to find how to do
> things.

Which GNOME 3 classic mode does for me, being used to GNOME 2 before.
That's probably why Red Hat chose it as default to ease the transition
from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7.

I have also tried my best to dig in the GNOME 3 way, and eventually
succeeded with a bit of efforts, but respect and understand people who
cannot get used to it.

My vote would be on GNOME 3 classic for now, but XFCE with sensible and
visually appealing defaults would do it for me too.

Ghislain