Re: ca-certificates: no more cacert.org certificates?!?

previously on this list Bas Wijnen contributed:

> From: Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: ca-certificates: no more cacert.org certificates?!?
> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 22:22:12 +0200
>
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:04:43AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I think the real problem here is the user interface asking one to trust
> > a site (forever, unless you're concentrating) at a point where you
> > really don't care because all you're interested in is seeing the cute
> > picture of an otter on someone's blog.
>
> Yes.  And the fact that making your blog use an encrypted connection
> causes either scary warnings for all your visitors, or a lot of hassle
> trying to find a CA who is slightly less extorting than the others,
> leads to the result that most people give it up and don't use encryption
> on their blog.

I agree

>  I think at Debian we all agree that it would be a good
> thing if everything would be encrypted, so this is a very bad outcome.

I beg to differ I'm afraid. SSL should be used where it is required
otherwise you are opening the server upto DOS and as it is more
complex, bugs and exploits not to mention greater memory and cpu usage
in similar fashion to systemd.

> I've also asked Mozilla to give plain HTTP connections at least as much
> warnings as self-signed certificates (which would probably mean no
> warnings for either of them), but I don't think they'll listen.

What have you asked them exactly. I believe glaring warnings should be
removed from self-signed and green bars removed completely for EV certs
but you should be asked to check the fingerprint for self-signed and the
browser should cache the cert and warn of changes in all cases
though that would scare the uninitiated at first???

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)