Re: ca-certificates: no more cacert.org certificates?!?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Philip Hands wrote:

> I think the real problem here is the user interface asking one to trust
> a site (forever, unless you're concentrating) at a point where you
> really don't care because all you're interested in is seeing the cute
> picture of an otter on someone's blog.

Indeed, the browser vendors basically fell for the NSA's social
engineering and put up scary warnings for a situation that is
approximately equivalent to plain unencrypted HTTP, which they treat
as all fine and good.

> If browsers treated all new certificates with suspicion, limiting the
> things that could be done in javascript, and not allowing forms to be
> filled in, say, and then when you decided that you wanted to offer the
> site some trust (because you want to fill in your credit card on the
> https://amazon-really-it-is.mafia.biz/ site) the browser could then
> guide you toward some checks that you might want to perform before
> continuing, and because you've got a credit card n your hand you might
> be vaguely interested at that point.

They don't even do that stuff for plain unencrypted HTTP so it is
unlikely they would for self-signed or unknown-ca HTTPS connections.

> Anyway, can we not just have a cacert-certificates package, and then
> people like me, who use cacert, could decide to trust them easily on my
> machines at least?  If we instead do things that make it harder for even
> Free Software enthusiasts to use something like CAcert, then the slim
> chance that CAcert might eventually become properly useful gets even
> slimmer.

>From the discussion on #debian-security it sounds like what will
happen is either a ca-certificates-cacert package or adding cacert.org
to ca-certificates but disabled by default.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise