Re: FTPMaster position statement about package contents

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 07:41:50PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I can understand the ftp team's desire to sidestep any moral questions here,
> but in the process I think your guidelines have wound up vague and
> overbroad, as they suggest that as a project we will never take a stand for
> anything but only do what's safe.

I think you are mistaken.  The statement says that before uploading, we
should ask the ftp team for advice.  Not that they will always deny the
upload.

What it means, is that they don't want rigid rules where there are
problems when we get a new member from a new country, but instead leave
the decision to humans (the ftp team).  I think that is very wise.

> For another example, software patents are not valid in the EU, but they are
> valid in many countries outside the EU.  We have a policy that software
> known to infringe patents should not be included in the archive, but your
> latest mail expresses a much broader policy: that developers shouldn't even
> upload software that *maybe* is illegal in the majority of countries of our
> developers.  If you asked me if a particular package infringed software
> patents in most countries, I would always have to answer "maybe".  So does
> this mean we should all stop uploading all software?

I'd suggest we use subjective human judgement when we decide whether or
not to contact the ftp team as well. ;-)

Thanks,
Bas