Re: identifying unused manually installed packages

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:05:49 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Sven Bartscher wrote:
>
> > Also I'm not really sure if this is even a good idea, or if there is
> > maybe another program already present which does already identify
> > unused, manually installed packages and I just didn't find it.
>
> deborphan seems like a similar package:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stable/deborphan

I looked at it but don't really get how it guesses which packages are
unneeded. It seems to only suggest leafs (of the dependency tree) but
it doesn't suggest all leafs for removal. It doesn't seem like it is
looking at timestamps.

Can anyone tell me how it is searching for unneeded packages?

While trying some stuff with my script I saw that most (maybe all)
desktop applications, which have a menu entry, won't be found, because
their .desktop files are frequently accessed.
So I think following this approach isn't really worth the afford.