Re: packaging of MATLAB files

Hi Ghislain,

Le samedi 08 mars 2014 à 12:18 +0000, Ghislain Vaillant a écrit :

> I am currently working on packaging a scientific project for which
> MATLAB wrappers are available. I was wondering where these should be
> installed in the file system tree and whether there were particular
> things to be careful with. I am talking about pure MATLAB files for
> now, i.e. only files with .m extension, no mex files.

The first thing to figure out is whether your .m files run under GNU
Octave (which is likely, but needs to be verified). If not, the .m files
cannot be put in the main section of Debian since they depend on nonfree
software, and should rather go in the contrib section.

If they do run under Octave, then a good solution is to put them (or a
link to them) under /usr/share/octave/site/m, so that the files are in
Octave path at runtime.

You can have a look at the matlab2tikz package for an example. It puts
the .m files under /usr/share/matlab2tikz, and links them
from /usr/share/octave/site/m.

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer