Re: Bits from the Security Team

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 12:21:06PM +1100, Craig Small wrote:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 12:54:00AM +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
  I'm not sure I will let this setup (hidepid=1) on my computers. My
current POV (that can change) is that I prefer to be able to do the
maximum of thing as a normal user (top, ps, read log (I'm in the
adm group), ...) ans switch to root when I really need to do some
modifications.
You apparently can have a "special" group that can see everything.

Aren’t there PAM modules which can grant capabilities to certain users?

That might be worthwhile for a default.
It makes things like pstree look odd, so I'll be expecting some new bug
reports.

It will break software like nagios with check_procs. Any ideas how one can solve this? dpkg-stateoverwrite doesn’t support capabilities, only the standard chmod commands.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |