Re: contrib and nonfree distribs

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Solal Rastier <solal.rastier@me.com> wrote:
> That's not an answer. For users, that doesn't change anything.
>
> Le 28 févr. 2014 à 15:20, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> a écrit :
>
>> Solal Rastier, le Fri 28 Feb 2014 12:56:00 +0100, a écrit :
>>> Further proof that Debian is proprietary software...
>>
>> contrib and non-free are not part of Debian releases. Really, read about
>> GR etc.
>>
>> Samuel

Wait a moment ...  Are you trying to say that users don't need flashplayer?
I tend to differ - unfortunately too many websites still need it, and gnash is
not exactly a replacement (unless you mean being few times as slow as
flashplayer is acceptable...  even when performance of flashplayer itself
is bad at best) [this is slightly better now with html5 slowly taking over
places where flashplayer was used previously]

Documentation from FSF is another thing. Some hardware also needs
proprietary firmware and drivers - surely you are not going to say that users
don't want their GPU to be able to render 3D?? or that they don't need wifi
connections ??? And you are not going to say that users don't want steam,
are you?

Also being ABLE to install nonfree software doesn't mean that Debian
itself is proprietary software... (also most (if not all) of distros marked as
free by FSF are breaking DFSG guidelines so they are proprietary too)

And I had to bite the catch and feed tusseladd ... ;(

--

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.