Status of build-arch coverage

Over the last few days, I have done two full rebuilds of all any/amd64
packages in the archive using:
· the current unstable dpkg ("current")
· the current unstable dpkg with the build-arch autodetection removed
  ("buildarch")

The summary is this:

┌────────────┬────────────┬───────┐
│  current   │ buildarch  │ count │
├────────────┼────────────┼───────┤
│ attempted  │ attempted  │   317 │
│ attempted  │ successful │    26 │
│ failed     │ failed     │    35 │
│ failed     │ successful │     3 │
│ successful │ attempted  │  1483 │
│ successful │ failed     │     3 │
│ successful │ successful │  8650 │
└────────────┴────────────┴───────┘

Raw data:
http://www.codelibre.net/~rleigh/rebuild-buildarch-20140218.sql.xz

So the good news is that the great majority of the archive does support
build-arch directly (8650 packages) without the need for autodetection.
However, nearly 1500 packages still do not have build-arch/build-indep
targets (or they do, but they are broken).  This is about 14% of the
total.  (I'm discounting the attempted, failed etc. packages for which
we can't make any judgement without manual inspection.)

I hope the above is useful for measuring progress on this front.  Do
we have any plans for enforcing build-arch for jessie at this point?
If we haven't already, stronger warnings when running dpkg-buildpackage
and stronger lintian warnings (errors?) would be useful to add.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh