Re: Please upgrade your build environment when you are affected by transition

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 01:38:51PM +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> this is just a pledge to you all fellow debian developers to update your
> build environment before you build a package.
>
> This mostly affects transitions, f.e.:
>
> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/db5.3.html

The problem is "just" that apt isn't following your transition.
In fact, on all my machines libdb-dev is on autohold…

$ LANG=C apt-get dist-upgrade -s -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
Investigating (0) libdb-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.7 -> 5.3.0 > ( libdevel )
Broken libdb-dev:amd64 Conflicts on libdb5.1-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.29-7 > ( libdevel )
  Considering libdb5.1-dev:amd64 -1 as a solution to libdb-dev:amd64 -1
  Holding Back libdb-dev:amd64 rather than change libdb5.1-dev:amd64
Investigating (0) libdb5.3-dev [ amd64 ] < none -> 5.3.28-3 > ( libdevel )
Broken libdb5.3-dev:amd64 Conflicts on libdb5.1-dev [ amd64 ] < 5.1.29-7 > ( libdevel )
  Considering libdb5.1-dev:amd64 -1 as a solution to libdb5.3-dev:amd64 -1
  Holding Back libdb5.3-dev:amd64 rather than change libdb5.1-dev:amd64
 Try to Re-Instate (1) libdb-dev:amd64
Done
Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Done
  libdb-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

If you care for an explanation of the output:
https://lists.debian.org/deity/2014/01/msg00133.html

So, while I am not a DD and therefore completely unresponsible for your
transition not working as you wish, I would suggest that you might not
want to point out the faults of your fellow DDs if you don't work on
your own as this is hardly the first time that this happens and isn't
resolved by using a pristine environment…
(or it is, but most of the 3678 popcon users will not have one)

(The only thing I am responsible for is trying out my own idea so far,
 but regardless of the outcome of such a try, it wouldn't help you
 here as your transition has to work with apt in *wheezy* and not
 with the "broken" version ending up in jessie …)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies