Re: init.d script not using !/bin/sh

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:14:17PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Thomas,

> If possible, I'd like to make a survey of what kind of interpreter
> packages are using for /etc/init.d scripts. How can I do that? Note that
> this would make OpenRC maintainer's life more easy, and avoid ugly hacks.

why is that a problem for OpenRC?

> Is it too late to fix this as a release goal, so that we get every init
> script to use /bin/sh?

There is nothing like making it a release goal that would result in it
getting magically getting fixed in all packages automatically.

Conversion to only using /bin/sh functionality has happened for most
init scripts many years ago, and the few scripts that use /bin/bash
tend to have a reason for using it.

As an example, the only init script using /bin/bash on my system is
from tor.

The changelog of the tor package says:
  * Use bin/bash for the init script instead of bin/sh.  We are using
    ulimit -n which is not POSIX  (closes: #338797).

> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

cu
Adrian