Re: conflict between system user and normal user

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:15:18 +0000
PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <frederic-emmanuel.picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>
wrote:

> > I don't think there is much that can reall be done to fix the
> > fundamental problem which is that system users and regular users
> > have to live in the same namespace causing a risk of conflicts.
>
> > There are two things I can see you could do to impreove the
> > situation with your package.
> > 1: Fail early, it's better to have preinst fail than it is to start
> > creating stuff with wrong permissions/ownership.
>
> Yes I nedd to faisl with a human comprehensible error explaining that
> the requested users is already there but that is not a system user.

Just use a generic name and be done with it.

> > 2: Choose a less generic name that is less likely to cause
> > conflicts. Do you plan to use this user only for the db? if so
> > tango-db might make sense, if not maybe something like
> > tango-control-system.
>

> no this user will be used by all tango controls system daemon.

The name should not be hardcoded - if it is, patch upstream in each
case and fix it. Don't waste your time and user time on a hacky
workaround - fix the code.

--

Neil Williams