Re: Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2014-02-05 22:31:09)
> The idea is to let init.d scripts look like this:
>
>   #!/lib/init/init-d-script
>   ### BEGIN INIT INFO
>   # Provides:          daemon
>   # Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog
>   # Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog
>   # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
>   # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
>   # Short-Description: nice daemon
>   ### END INIT INFO
>   DAEMON=/usr/sbin/daemond
>
> Short and to the point, and in the simple case only list the path to
> the daemon to start.  The code to implement init.d scripts is moved to
> /lib/init/init-d-script, and the redundant code spread across
> /etc/init.d/ can be dropped.

Marvellous idea!

> A few days ago I picked up the idea again, and wrote a more complete
> draft of the /lib/init/init-d-script.  The code is available in the
> simpler-init-scripts in the sysvinit GIT repository, available from
> I've tested it on a few packages, and believe the code is ready for
> wider testing.
>
> The main target group for this feature are the majority of packages
> with init.d scripts, the ones starting a single daemon.  There are
> around 1000 packages in Debian with init.d scripts.  Around 100 of
> them start stuff using rcS.d/, and tend to be quite complex.  Most of
> the rest start a simple daemon and are based on different generations
> of /etc/init.d/skeleton.  The target for this feature is the latter
> group.

I am involved in a few of those simple uses, and have long wanted to
simplify netatalk as well (by splitting the daemons as separate sysV
scripts).

As soon as available in Debian (but not before, I cannot find time to
juggle unusual environments) I will migrate to this simple form.

...unless peers in the various teams I am involved in object, obviously.

 - Jonas