Should we try to draw more attention on ITAs waiting for sponsorship (with testing removal) ?

Hi.

I'm not sure this is really a problem we should address. Sorry if I'm
overlooking details.

I suspect we have quite a few orphaned old packages still in testing,
for which an ITA (Intent to Adopt) has been offered by a non DD, which
is waiting for sponsorship. Typically, some of these potential
maintainers may be active users or upstream maintainers.

But who cares ?

If such package are getting removed from testing (re. new release policy
experiment), maybe that would draw more attention to these pending
sponsorship requests (provided that DDs using them, or "educated" users are indeed
notified of the testing removal), and help bring back updated packages
and new maintainers in the loop ?

I'm not sure we can back this discussion by figures of such pending
sponsorship requests, or if that could be counterproductive in the
end. Maybe testing removals isn't the best way to encourage more
mentoring and sponsorship (I'm thinking of the Mentoring of the Month
experiment in Debian-med that Andreas presented at the Paris Mini
Debconf recently, for instance).
I myself isn't very motivated to sponsor packages which I don't
use... but maybe I'm not noticing at all (or didn't read how-can-i-help
messages ;-).

That was just my 2 cents of the day. Any opinions ?

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8