Re: Delegation for the Release Team

Hi,

On 06/01/14 at 11:56 +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 01:23:42PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to note that the discussion on this delegation was inconclusive
> > on a couple of points:
> >
> > 1) it does not include anything about defining rules for NMU delays.
> >
> > The last time the NMU "policy" was changed was in 2011. The process used
> > back then was:
> > - the release team announced its intention to change the policy in
> >   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00016.html
> > - #625449 was filed against developers-reference
> > - there was some discussion
> > - the proposed change made it into developers-reference
> >
> > I believe that this was a very reasonable way to make such a change, and
> > that there is no need to give explicit authority to the release team over
> > the definition of the recommended delays for NMUs in developers-reference[1].
> > [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#nmu
> >
> > Of course, if recommended NMU delays are discussed again in the future,
> > I think that the release team's opinion should be heard with great
> > attention, given the role of NMUs in achieving quicker bug fixing and, in
> > fine, faster releases.
> >

> Hi Lucas,
>
> This is somewhat troubling, as I pointed out in
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/dpl-helpers/2013-December/000124.html
>
> Explicitly again: Please see the last 7 years worth of bits mails, where
> the release team have lowered this without advance notice, for BSPs etc.
>
> As you have chosen to explicitly remove this role of the release team,
> without consensus, could you please state who you are now allowing to
> change NMU policy?

First, I do not think that we have a NMU *policy*. What we have is a set
of (non-binding) recommended procedures, including recommended delays,
documented in developers-reference.  The current content of dev-ref is
mostly the result of DEP1[1,2], which I co-drove back in 2008. It was
later modified to include the result of #625449[3] (0-day NMU for RC
bugs with no activity for more than 7d).

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/ddp/manuals/trunk/developers-reference/pkgs.dbk?r1=5249&r2=5353
[2] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep1.html
[3] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/ddp/manuals/trunk/developers-reference/pkgs.dbk?r1=8702&r2=8902

I think that this part of developers-reference, like any part of
dev-ref, can be changed by any DD, following a process similar to the
one the release team used in 2011:
> - the release team announced its intention to change the policy in
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00016.html
> - #625449 was filed against developers-reference
> - there was some discussion
> - the proposed change made it into developers-reference

That is, propose a change and seek consensus.

Also, I'd like to point out that, in fine, I don't think that the DPL
has the power to decide on an NMU *policy*, and thus cannot delegate
that power to the release team, because deciding on such policy would
be a power of the TC, not the DPL. See Constitution 6.1.1:

| The Technical Committee may:
|
| 1. Decide on any matter of technical policy.
|
|    This includes the contents of the technical policy manuals,
|    developers' reference materials, example packages and the behaviour
|    of non-experimental package building tools. (In each case the usual
|    maintainer of the relevant software or documentation makes decisions
|    initially, however; see 6.3(5).)

- Lucas