Re: GnuTLS in Debian

Steve Langasek dixit:

>of GPLv3, and explicitly did not.  In fact, the system library exception is
>now defined even more narrowly than for GPLv2, so that it now covers only
>language runtime libraries.  I think this was a poor choice on the FSF's

Is it really?

|  A "Standard Interface" means an interface that either is an official
|standard defined by a recognized standards body, or, in the case of
|interfaces specified for a particular programming language, one that
|is widely used among developers working in that language.

OpenSSL is an interface specified for C and widely used among
developers working in C. And OpenSSL is the “de facto” standard
for crypto, hashes and SSL (and one of the major contenders for
bignum) in C, on Unix.

|Component, and (b) serves only to enable use of the work with that
|Major Component, or to implement a Standard Interface for which an
|implementation is available to the public in source code form.  A

And libssl.so.* and libcrypto.so.* DLLs implement this Standard
Interface called OpenSSL, which is available to the public in source
code form.

So, I disagree with that reading.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)