Re: Need some guide with LSB core

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Bas Wijnen writes ("Re: Need some guide with LSB core"):
> > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 08:27:45PM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> > > Conforming scripts shall not specify the "exit on error" option (i.e.
> > > set -e) when sourcing this file, or calling any of the commands thus
> > > made available.
> >
> > From the bugs you cite, the consensus in Debian seems to be that this is
> > an unreasonable requirement which leads to buggy code.  However, since
> > it is a requirement, we follow it and try to be very careful to avoid
> > bugs.

> LSB is, after all, a specification for third-party packages.  init
> scripts written for Debian are first-party and can be Debian specific.

Yes.  And we do know better than provide system-wide shell script functions
for initscript usage that croak under "set -e", so there is no such
requirement for Debian.

If anything in the *Debian-provided* initscript helpers (which does include
some of the LSB compatibility layer) croaks under "set -e", please file a
bug so that it can be fixed.

  Henrique Holschuh