Re: Last call for pv-grub-menu.

Le Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 09:17:58AM +0000, Ian Campbell a écrit :

> Do you have a reference to the conversation you had with the grub(1,2)
> maintainers? I don't see it in the pkg-grub-devel archives.

Hi Ian,

there was no conversation with the GRUB maintainers, however, they have seen
http://bugs.debian.org/672104, which was a whishlist bug on GRUB2 before
becoming an ITP.  I take their silence as an evidence for their lack of
interest, which is totally justified.

The last message I had from the FTP team asks why the bug became an ITP within
a day.  Frankly speaking, I think I remember why, but it was probably a private
and indirect message.  I spent hours, literally, trying to find a copy on the
archived mailing lists or on my hard drive, and I did not find it.  I am sorry
for this.

As noticed in this thread, the request is anyway pointless, and I also
underlined this in the thread "Nitpicking in the NEW queue" last September.  In
particular, I wrote:

    Atcutally, I do not know what is missing from README.Debian to justify the
    existence of this package.  It runs a script each time a kernel package is
    installed or removed.  I do not see which other package would be fit for
    these kernel hooks.

Back to the question about why #672104 was changed to an ITP within a day, out
of frustration, I told the FTP team to ask the GRUB maintainers if they want to
make sure that the functions of pv-grub-menu can not be addeed to existing
binary packages.  Here is my message in full.  By the way, I think that the
package reviews should be publically archived, for instance by CCing the ITP.

   We are just wasting our time trying to micromanage or over-optimise things.
   If you want to know the grub-* maintainers think, ask them directly.

   1) grub-legacy will fail if the MBR can not be modified.  pv-grub-menu is a
   package for systems where the MBR can not be modified.

   2) grub-legacy is in maintainance mode, no new developments.  This is not my
   decision, but I find it sound, and will not argue agaisnt.

   3) In Ubuntu, pv-grub-menu is a binary package of the cloud-init source package
   (with a different name and lots of cruft), but is not related to the upstream
   sources.  Me and the cloud-init upstream+Ubuntu maintainer agreed to separate
   them in independant source packages.

I admit that the tone is not cooperative, but I am not the FTP team's circus
monkey, and I strongly dislike to have to bug the whole project for hosting the
pv-grub-menu scripts in an existing package despite I already gave arguments
that I think are strong enough to decide that it is the wrong solution.

So, FTP team, please take your decision and let's close this story.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan