libtiff5 transition

Once sentence summary: if your package has a build dependency on
libtiff4-dev, libtiff5-dev, or libtiff5-alt-dev, you will probably just
want to change the build dependency to be on libtiff-dev, but there are
some special cases, so read on if in doubt.

[As I write this, the tiff 4.0.3-6 is not built yet on hurd-i386,
mipsel, or sparc, so you may want to wait until at least 2013-12-06
before making changes and re-uploading packages or at least check
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=tiff.]

Today we are starting the transition from tiff 3.x to tiff 4.x as the
default, and soon only, tiff library in debian.  To clear up one
constant area of confusion right off the bat, tiff 3.x is packaged in
the tiff3 source package and provides the libtiff4 binary package, and
tiff 4.x is packaged in the tiff source package and provides the
libtiff5 binary package.  Some other distributions have already made the
transition, and almost all packages will require no code changes.  The
libtiff4-dev and libtiff5-alt-dev packages are now transitional packages
that just depend on libtiff5-dev, and there is no longer any -dev
package that builds against tiff 3.x.  The libtiff4-dev and
libtiff5-alt-dev packages, as well as the tiff3 source package, will be
removed before jessie is released.  In a few weeks, I will file bugs
against any packages that still build depend on libtiff4-dev or
libtiff5-alt-dev.

If you have a package that has a build dependency on libtiff*dev*,
here's what you need to do:

 * If your package build-depends on libtiff-dev already, no action
   required; the release team will automatically schedule a rebuild of
   your package at the appropriate time.

 * If your package depends on libtiff4-dev but can work fine with tiff
   4.x (most packages), replace your dependency on libtiff4-dev with a
   new dependency on libtiff-dev.

 * If your package build-depends on libtiff5-dev or libtiff5-alt-dev and
   is known to work with both tiff 3.x and tiff 4.x (i.e., it does not
   use the BIGTIFF extensions in tiff 4.x), you can just change the
   build dependency to an unversioned libtiff-dev.  You can also remove
   any special code that you may have added to your package to get it to
   find tiff in the non-standard location.  If you were finding tiff
   with pkg-config, you shouldn't have to make any changes to your
   package other than the build dependency.

 * If your package build-depends on libtiff5-dev, you don't HAVE to do
   anything, but you may be helping yourself in the future if you change
   the build dependency to libtiff-dev (>> 4.0.3-6~).

I have replicated most of this information in README.Debian for the tiff
package.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>