Re: Role of Release Goals (Was: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:01:31 -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:02:55AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
>> - Release Goals kind-of define Debian's technical agenda. However, one
>> could
>>   question whether it's really the role of the release team to decide
>>   on this, rather than the one of the project at large. Shouldn't this
>>   be discussed the usual Debian way (= discussion on mailing list to
>>   gather feedback and reach consensus on the global picture; then
>>   do-ocracy for the smaller implementation details)?
>
> We're not talking about small implementation details.  What do you
> propose as a mechanism for agreeing to a reduced NMU delay for
> archive-wide changes?
> The release team may not be the right way to get this done
> organizationally,
> but a strict consensus-driven process on debian-devel is also not
> realistic as we will never converge on a decision in a reasonable amount
> of time.

Something similar to DEPs could be useful in this regard. For the
purposes of release goals, though, the requirements for passing from
DRAFT to CANDIDATE should be defined, to avoid endless discussions (say,
a number N of seconds).

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler