Re: debconf as a registry

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> What this means, is that every package which asks debconf questions (and
> stores the answers in a configuration file) will need to:

> 1. Parse the configuration file, if it exists, and set the values as
> defaults before asking the questions. (in the config script)
> 2. Update the values in the configuration file. (in the postinst script)

> Currently, many packages only do 2, and that is wrong.

And those packages are all buggy, and whenever you encounter one, please
do file a bug and get that package fixed.  I've fixed this bug in various
packages over time, including some of my own.

I agree with Joey that a package's own maintainer scripts should be
responsible for parsing the package's configuration files.  There are too
many possible cases that will come up over time, such as a need to migrate
one value to another, and the package should be an expert in its own
configuration syntax.

It's the package's responsibility to read debconf-based data back from the
persistent store and treat that as a maintainer override.  Policy is quite
explicit about this.