Re: sysvinit: moving the contents out of the Essential: yes package?

On 26 November 2013 10:42, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 04:19 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What about adding openrc to the list above, at least for some
>>> architectures. No decision has been made by the ctte yet, or?
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe OpenRC does not provide
>> process 1 or /sbin/init and still relies on sysvinit for that.  So the
>> above would be correct for OpenRC.
>
> This is correct, OpenRC uses sysvinit, and replaces only sysv-rc (which
> BTW shows that replacing a well working PID 1, or adding any piece of
> code in it, is absolutely not needed at all). Currently, it does:
>
> Package: openrc
> Architecture: any
> Conflicts: sysv-rc
> Replaces: sysv-rc
> Provides: sysv-rc
>
> With the above, it's easy to switch from one to the other. Well, that is
> before the mess with the version-depends on sysv-rc introduced by the
> debhelper thing for upstart, which messed-up a few things... I hope many
> packages have been rebuilt with the new debhelper version since that has
> been corrected, especially the essential ones (like ifupdown and the
> others (I can't remember)).
>
> By the way, is there any progress on the porting of Upstart to
> kFreeBSD/hurd? I've been very pleased to see that there's been at least
> some plans. But is there someone that has started implementing it?

Yes, there have been. I have completed porting libnih to kFreeBSD with
full test-suite passing. And upstart compiles on kFreeBSD and passes
more than half of the test-suite. I haven't yet got around to booting
it.
There are still a few FreeBSD specific features to write (e.g. devd
bridge/integration & kevent/kqueue bridge/integration).

I haven't started looking into Hurd yet, and it would be a platform
i'd be discovering completely from scratch. But given how portable
libnih actually turned out to be, it should be trivial for someone to
start libnih porting on Hurd.

The progress updates were sent to Debian Planet, G+ and shared among
people at Mini DebConf UK Cambridge.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.