Re: Registering a media type for Debian binary packages ?

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 03:28:09 AM Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> reading the Launchpad bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1022824,
> asking to add application/x-deb to /etc/mime.types, and giving the link to
> another bug where it is mentionned that application/x-debian-package is
> still in circulation, I wonder if it would make sense to register a proper
> media type for Debian binary packages to the IANA.
>
>     http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl
>
> This is a very simple procedure, for example we already have
> text/vnd.debian.copyright there.
>
>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/vnd.debian.copyright
>
> The media type for Debian binary packages would be something like
> application/vnd.debian.binary or application/vnd.debian.binary-package.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, or volunteers ?

While at it it would be nice to also register link relations for the
dependencies and reverse dependencies of a package. These links could be used
in rfc5988 link headers. If we add canonical URIs for packages we could have a
restful aptitude :-).