Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 02:06:45AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 06:28 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > Please rename /sbin/rc to something else. We've had (unrelated)
> > /usr/bin/rc in Debian for at least 18 years.
>
> Outch! This bites hard. Maybe you being the maintainer of the "rc"
> package is why you saw this immediately! :)
>
> Though that's annoying, because upstream must extensively uses "rc". All
> OpenRC commands are in fact using /sbin/rc. For example, /bin/rc-status
> (which shows what  is a symlink to /bin/rc, and then /sbin/rc finds out
> that it has been called by using /bin/rc-status, so it prints the status.

Is there much chance of convincing upstream to consider a migration to
another binary name, perhaps "openrc"? If it's a difficult and complex
change it would be best if it was performed upstream I think. Although
it took Debian to notice the clash, the clash may be a problem for
others as well.

FWIW /usr/bin/rc is an interesting shell and worth a look for those who
aren't already familiar with it.