Re: .py suffixed scripts to /usr/bin/

On 10/31/2013 10:21 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> there is a non-free original MNE which provides some of those
> tools implemented in C.  Happen MNE gets freed (and packaged) or
> otherwise installed -- there would be a conflict (command line interface
> differs, alternatives is not the way).

Having 2 implementations of the same thing isn't a problem, we can use
update-alternatives for that. See mawk vs gawk for example. The problem
with /usr/bin/<something> collision is *only* when we have 2 software
doing completely different things using the same /usr/bin/<something>.

So if you want to prepare the future, you could install your command
line utility as /usr/bin/python-<whatever> and use update-alternatives
to make it available as /usr/bin/<whatever>, though it might be a bit
overkill if the C version isn't released as free software yet.

On 11/01/2013 06:32 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> The solution is to the change Policy :)

No! :)

Thomas