Re: Why IceApe?

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 11:13:05AM +0000, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> I know Firefox was rebranded IceWeasel because of the problems with
> the Mozilla trademark for Firefox, but as far as I know there is no
> such trademark for SeaMonkey and if there is, it's not owned by
> Mozilla, it's owned by the SeaMonkey project.  Why, then, is it
> rebranded to IceApe? Can't Debian just distribute it as SeaMonkey?
> Distributing it as IceApe makes it tricky to figure out how
> extension compatibility works between SeaMonkey and IceApe, and it's
> hard to support IceApe considering you could probably count the
> number of IceApe users on the fingers of one hand.

Hey there Jez,

According to http://www.seamonkey-project.org/legal/trademark, it's
subject to Mozilla's trademark terms
(http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/policy/)
which state:

     If you want to sell the product, you may do so, but you must call
     that product by another name—one unrelated to Mozilla or any of the
     Mozilla Marks

(Among a few others, originally, we had an issue with distributing
patched software)

But, it's pretty explicit this is a Mozilla mark

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/licensing/ even says:

Our trademarks include, among others, the names Mozilla®, mozilla.org®,
Firefox®, Thunderbird®, Bugzilla™, Camino®, Sunbird®, SeaMonkey®, and
XUL™ [..]

Cheers,
  Paul

--