Re: System accounts with valid shells

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> However, there's an awkward problem blocking the change, namely #184979.
> The last time I made any change to passwd.master or group.master that
> caused update-passwd to prompt everyone to accept it was in December
> 2004.  Since then, the policy manual has been updated to say that all
> packages must use debconf for prompting (albeit with an exception for
> Essential and transitively-Essential packages, but only in that they may
> have a fallback mechanism).  base-passwd is not in compliance with this
> policy and it will require an extensive rewrite of update-passwd.c to
> make it so.

Ah!  Thank you.  I hadn't realized this was the issue.

I assume that would mean that update-passwd would need to become a client
of the libdebconfclient0 library?

Phillip, given the above background, would you be willing to modify the
libuuid package to use /bin/false or /usr/sbin/nologin instead of /bin/sh
for the shell for the libuuid user?  That package doesn't have the same
issues that base-passwd has.