Re: .py suffixed scripts to /usr/bin/

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> So the question is -- is there any other possible resolution I do not
> see here besides just keeping .py suffixes and providing a lintian
> override?

The implementation language is irrelevant to users and thus should not
be in the names of things in $PATH. We don't suffix binaries compiled
from C with .c or shell scripts with .sh and python should be no
different.

The free version is command-line incompatible with the non-free version.

This leads me to suggest you get upstream to switch to using a suffix
like -free, -new, -fnme (free NME), -mnet (mne-tools) or prefix like f
(free). It solves both problems and is really what upstream should
have been doing from the beginning since .py is hardly the appropriate
differentiator between the non-free and free versions of the commands.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise