Re: MIPS64EL port box is ready for use (Was: mips64el port build failed list)

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM, YunQiang Su wrote:
>
>> After more than half of a year's hard work, we have the mips64el port
>> almost done.
>> Now we have more than 7600 packages build successfully.
>
> Congrats!
>
> Please create a page on the Debian wiki and or update the MIPSPort
> wiki page about this new architecture. You could also send patches to
> update the list of ports on the Debian website:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/MIPSPort
> http://www.debian.org/ports/
> http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/
> http://www.debian.org/devel/website/
I have update the wiki pages and working on update WML.

>> The current build status can be found in http://vip.moonux.org/attempted/
>
> Would you like me to register mips64el.debian.net and CNAME it to
> vip.moonux.org or another domain?
>
>> Now I get a new board and give it 18GiB DDR3 memory and 1TB hardisk.
>> Most important is that it is running a Debian Unstable, MIPS64EL.
>>
>> Anyone has need to port package(s) can apply a account.
>> Please post me your ssh public key signed by a trust-able PGP key.
>
> You should probably talk to DSA about getting it a debian.net domain
> and getting it listed in LDAP as a porter machine.
>
> https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
I have mailed to DSA, and am waiting for their response.

>> I also working on make a rootfs to make it easy to install this port.
>
> In Debian we usually expect people to either run debootstrap or d-i to
> perform Debian installations since otherwise some files that should be
> different between installs will be identical. So please just point
> people at debootstrap instead. This is a problem with Debian that we
> currently have to work around once for every image creation tool; all
> of debian-live, cloud images, mips64el rootfs' etc  need/have hacks to
> remove files like the dbus machine identifier or the openssh host keys
> from the system after debootstrap has run.
The patch for loongson 3A has not be in upstream kernel.
The D-I support is not possible for now.
Live system may be a good option.

>> Here we still have 2 problems:
>>    1. I believe that it is time of use to talk about how to make this
>> port to debian-ports.org.
>>         Anyone can help us?
>
> http://www.debian-ports.org/contacts
>
> I have heard rumours on IRC that debian-ports.org is having resource
> issues so adding new ports there might be hard.
>
>>    2. Which ISA  to be used for this port when it is in debian-ports.
>>         Now we use mips64r2 with tune loongson3a.
>>         Should we downgrade ISA requirement to mips3 or mips64?
>
> That is up to yourself and people who own or otherwise care about MIPS
> hardware. Take into consideration what hardware is available
> commercially now and will be in the future, as well as what hardware
> most people already own. I don't know much about GCC tuning but I
> expect that tuning for one specific machine isn't a good idea.
>
> For future the future steps, here are the requirements for adding
> mips64el to the archive and getting it officially included in a future
> Debian release:
>
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/archive-criteria.html
> http://release.debian.org/testing/arch_policy.html
Thanks for you link.