Re: Proposal: switch init system to systemd or upstart

2013/10/25 Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:29:54 +0200
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>
>> It is more and more obvious that modern software needs an event-based
>> init system.
>>
>> Pros:
>> - more features
>> - stable support for advanced boot/SAN environments
>> - being more similar to one of the other relevant distributions (RHEL
>> or Ubuntu)
>> - things like gnome become easier to package
>>
>> Cons:
>> - some work to do (how much depends on the choice and on the details.
>>   but keeping sysvinit on life support is not free either)
>
> Are either of the alternatives, at the versions currently in Debian
> testing, ready for the migration? (I have no idea, I'm wondering out
> loud).
>
> How long might the migration take? Are we talking Jessie or Jessie+1
> here? Jessie+2?
>
> I can see some / many services being migrated but *all* ?
>
> Who is going to do all that work?
Both systemd and upstart contain compat layers for LSB init-scripts,
so there is no need to switch *everything* immediately. There can be a
slow migration.
And in case of systemd, many upstreams already ship systemd services,
which work on Debian without further modifications.
So, I think some partial migration would be possible for Jessie, and a
"full" migration could be planned for Jessie+1.
Cheers,
    Matthias